RomaineScallySolicitors > > Litigation


If you have been involved in an incident, a motor accident, a work-related incident, an accident in a public place or you have been the suffered as a result of medical negligence, we at Romaine Scally & Co can give you clear, straightforward legal advice setting out what your rights and obligations are. Where injuries follow from the accident, we can also advise you in respect of any claim you may have. We can help whether through negotiating a settlement, through the Injuries Board (PIAB) or through court.

It should be noted that there are certain limitation periods within which legal claims can be made. It is therefore important to seek professional advice at an early stage.

We can advise you in respect of all areas including: –

Road Traffic Accidents

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident you may be entitled to make a compensation claim. As well as compensation for your injuries, you may also be able to claim for medical bills, loss of earnings, car damage and other out of pocket expenses.

Work Accidents

Workplace accidents can arise for any number of reasons. Employers are obliged by law to provide a safe place of work and a safe system of work. They must ensure employees are correctly trained and that proper health and safety procedures are followed. This includes making sure equipment and machinery is well maintained and fit for purpose and that work areas are safe and free from danger. If you have suffered from an injury during the course of your work and the standards are not met you may be entitled to compensation.

Accidents in Public Places

Injury can result from accidents in many public places for various reasons. You may have fallen on an uneven surface or a wet floor. If you are involved in an accident in a public place and suffered an injury you may be entitled to claim for compensation. You may also be able to claim for medical bills, loss of earnings and other out of pocket expenses.

Medical Negligence

Patients are entitled to expect their medical treatment will meet the standard of care recognised as acceptable and appropriate by reasonably prudent health care providers. When this does not happen, and injury or loss occurs as a result, the patient may have a medical negligence case. We can advise you in respect of your

In most cases the patient will want to get an explanation for what happened and hold the doctor or hospital accountable for their actions. While the object of medical negligence claims is to obtain compensation for injuries and recover expenses (including future expenses), it can on occasion also get you some of the answers you seek.

These cases are rarely straightforward, can be extremely complex and can be traumatic and prolonged for the patients involved.

Fatal Injuries

When a person dies as a result of the wrongful act of a third party an action for damages may be possible as against that third party. The action may be brought by the next of kin or legal personal representative of the deceased. Please contact us and we can provide you with clear, straightforward legal advice setting out what your rights. We can also advise you in respect of any claim you may have.

Claims for Children or those with Intellectual Disabilities

Persons under 18 years of age or those with intellectual disabilities have the exact same rights as adults to bring claims. The primary difference however, is that such claims must be brought through the child’s “next friend”. This is ordinarily one of the parents or guardians of the child. Any settlement involving a child requires Court approval and any award of compensation in favour of a person under 18 years of age is lodged in to Court until it is paid to the minor together with interest when he or she reaches 18. In some circumstances, the Court will allow earlier a payment out of the award. Whilst the general limitation period in which to bring claims is 2 years this is extended in the case of children or persons under a disability where in most cases the time does not begin to run until the person reaches 18 years of age.

For further information on any of our services or to make an appointment, please contact us by calling 01 4599506, by emailing us at or by filling out our online contact form. We will ensure your query is forwarded to a member of our staff who specialises in area and they will contact you to discuss the matter further.

In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.


Contact Us